Sunday, January 8, 2012

Ugh the weather!

The weather this weekend has really hindered my abilities to complete projects on my to do list.  Even more frustrating is that I had completed one of them in the nice sunshine then proceeded to go inside for the evening leaving my freshly stained/painted pieces outside to finish drying.  Then to what to my dismay did I hear?  Nothing but a good old fashioned thunderstorm in January!  Hugh ran out the backdoor to see if he could salvage my work.  Alas, he could not.  So I shall take that opportunity to document my progress in photographs.  Something I wish I did initially.  Now I have my chance.  So sadly I have no pictures for you.  But as promised I do have my protein bar recipe.  As you'll see there's not a whole lot of preciseness to the measurements. 

Peanut Butter Protein Bars
1 cup Skippy all natural peanut butter (I like creamy but am sure chunky could work too.   Skippy is  also the best natural peanut butter I've found.)
1 cup raw honey  (if you use less you get more of a trail mix versus a bar.  Both are still yummy)
3 cups old fashioned raw oats (do NOT use anything other than old fashioned.  Quick cooks just don't do the same.  Plus here you get so much fiber.)
1/2 cup chocolate protein powder (This is optional.  But I enjoy the subtle chocolate flavor and the protein boost.)
1/2-3/4 whole flax seed (also optional but gives great source of fiber and has other health benifits)
1 cup(ish) dried fruit (blueberries are my favorite but any will work here.)

It's as simple as this.  Heat the peanut butter and honey together until it's all melted and well blended.  Then add ingredients 1 at a time mixing well in the order: flax seed, fruit, protein powder, and then oats.  Once it is all blended take off heat and press into a greased baking dish.  I usually use a 7x13.  place into your fridge and allow them to cool.  Once they are cool cut into 16 squares.  I usually then place them in a zip bag and keep in the fridge.  But they are okay to keep on the counter as well.  Just remember to drink lots of water as you enjoy your yummy protein bar.

I hope you enjoy the recipe.  And as always keep checking back.  I have lots of big plans on the horizon and can't wait to unveil them to everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment